Hi Mathias,

        So - since you want to kill the thread, lets try to do that; but first
I must address this:

On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 23:48 +0100, Mathias Bauer wrote:
> What makes you think it could be anything else? Wow, how easy it is to
> get some public interest. It's enough to give others some reasons to
> cultivate their paranoia.

        How many licensees are there of our code in OO.o, and under what
terms ? without knowing that, it's really hard to say; that is my point.
Clearly I would hope and expect that (in the absence of a compelling
commercial reason to do otherwise), Sun would act in a way to safeguard
the OO.o project, ensure that code changes get back up-stream under the
LGPL etc.

> Novell even states explicitly that this is the reason why they ask for
> a copyright assignment.

        As does Sun.

> Whether Novell already does business like that (Michael
> calls it "ripping off people's code) is something I don't care for.

        It's amazing the concern that is suddenly shown for code that was not
written or contributed by Sun, or you, or me :-) I'm interested in the
relevant code for this forum: that contributed to OpenOffice; rather
than some wider discussion about Java, OpenSolaris, NetBeans [ or
whatever ]. Presumably each project can decide for itself.

        Let me clarify ripping off, since that unfortunately ended up seeming
offensive to you. I would personally feel ripped off, if my code ended
up in a commercial product, which clearly had modified & improved that
code, and where the improvements were not available to all under the
LGPL, in OO.o.

>  I just would like to stop this stupid discussion started by Michael's
> ridiculous idea that Sun would make business with a "company" like
> butler office. I still can't believe that this is really what he thinks.

        This would have been an effective end-thread, as a #1 reply :-)

        Unfortunately, reading back, it looks as if: before Martin checked with
the lawyers and confirmed that you did not have such a relationship
(thanks Martin), you argument was framed only in defense of Sun's right
to re-license our code under any terms :-)

        It's good to see the principle laid out clearly: that Sun will not deal
with Butler-alikes, that it would be ridiculous to do so & I welcome
that & couldn't agree more.

        Regards,

                Michael.

--
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]  <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot