Michael Meeks schrieb:

> Hi Mathias,
>
>       Good to hear from you again :-)
>
> On Tue, 2008-02-05 at 21:11 +0100, Mathias Bauer wrote:
>> It's not so uncommon that the major contributor of a project wants
>> to preserve the ability to relicence the code and so requires the
>> copyright for code contributions from others.
>
>       Insisting on copyright assignment to a single company, is IMHO a good
> way to doom a project to not getting widespread corporate contributions,
> and thus to subtantially hurt it's development. As Federico[1] says,
> this is exactly why evolution failed to attract outside contributors.

Well, I once tried to use Evolution and there are many other reasons
that come into my mind why people don't have any interest in it.

>       Now, of course OO.o includes chunks of LGPL code in the 'external'
> module, but (as we have seen) these are somehow 'different' and it's not
> possible to include new functionality as plugins that is LGPL, or
> [ insert vague, inexplicable, non-convincing reason here for excluding
> LGPL plugins from the product ].

You can create extensions without signing an SCA and there is no problem
with licencing the source code under LGPL. And you should know that as
you have been told several times. I'm really getting tired mentioning it
again and again.

>> OpenOffice.org also offers a way to contribute without a JCA:
>> developers can provide extensions that can be distributed and
>> installed separately.  That's more than you can get in most other Open
>> Source projects (including the ones I mentioned above).
>
>       Interesting - you can't write plugins using Mono, or for Evolution ?
> and you can't do so without assigning ownership to Novell - that is
> indeed news to me. IMHO, you mis-place your hope in a plugin panacea.
If I'm wrong with my last sentence and you can indeed contribute plugins
*to* Mono (not *using* mono) without a CA, sorry, I stand corrected. I'm
still right with the more important first sentence that you didn't
comment: creating extensions is a way to contribute to OOo without
signing an SCA. We already tried to explain it to you some time ago but
we can discuss the "HowTo" again at the next ESC meeting and post the
results whereever you like.

Ciao,
Mathias

Please don't reply to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]".