2008/9/30 Mathias Bauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Thorsten Behrens wrote:
>
>> Hm. That's a funny thing with the users. They tell you they want
>> 100% layout compatibility, and then they move on to Mac & use
>> Pages, because it's 'good enough' and so much nicer. There are smart
>> people out there, opining that when disruptive changes happen (and
>> they do, with web-based offerings, mobile phones etc.), you better
>> not listen to your established user base - I recommend (re-)reading
>> Clayton Christensen. ;)
>
> We don't have "the" users. My fear is that a not so small and not so
> unimportant part of our users (the corporate users and those from the
> public sector) fall into the categorie of "whatever you do, don't spoil
> my document layout!". We see that everytime we accidently (or
> intentionally ;-)) broke something for them, e.g. if we fixed a bug of
> an old OOo version and now documents look different. Maybe that this is
> a very Writer-specific problem, but at the end this is the application I
> was talking about.

I fail to see how modularization could break the layout of imported
documents. Why anything has to be rewritten from scratch? Is it
because of bad code design? If classes/functions from one namespace do
not refer to another namespace directly or indirectly, why should it
be so hard to package that namespace as a standalone module? If there
is a dependency, say on some UI class, which was probably created
accidentally, then why removing it should imply a rewrite of the whole
thing?

I have to agree with Thornsten that protecting existing user base at
the expense of potential new users and new paradigms is not a good
roadmap for OOo. I would say it's a sure way towards a failure.

As for lack of resources, modularization is necessary precisely
because current OOo team cannot possibly handle all use-cases for OOo
components. So let's allow others use those components outside of OOo
and not bother the core team.