Hi Mathias,

you wrote:
> My personal experience with asking people about possible code sharing
> quite often was: "I don't like UNO, I don't like Windows, I don't like
> your build system" etc. etc. While some of these statements are valid, I
> always wonder why nobody says: "nice idea, how to make it happen and how
> can I help you". The fixed mind-set isn't on one side only.

Definitely. But then, excuse the business metaphor, in a market
setting, one usually doesn't blame the buyer for not buying, but the
seller for failing to sell - and after all, the seller and the offering
is all we (possibly) have influence on. ;)

And, as you conceded, convincing other projects to swallow larger
subsets of OOo wholesale (as up to now, there are no real
independent parts - the smallest piece that makes sense would be
build system, boost, stlport, xml2cmp & sal, the next one probably
already URE - all of which would force the other project into _our_
world, build-system, packaging & configuration-wise), when they want
to share some bits, is hard to say the least.

That said, at least on Linux, Michael did split OOo up into 18
distinct packages, that build on top of each other, and can be
independently built & installed (and most importantly, one can
install debug info only for e.g. Writer) - but that's still OOo,
much better packaged, but dragging in the whole stack, if someone
links against svx for the Escher filter.

Cheers,

-- Thorsten