I am going to try to be constructive. First, let's see if we can
simplify the problem statement. I will try to do that by asking two
questions:

1. If OpenOffice.org had a sibling project called "OpenOffice.org
Server", what features would it have to provide to be useful?

2. How big an effort would it take to accomplish such a project?

I can answer the first question from my point of view. I am sure
others will find other features that they would want to have. First of
all, I would like to be able to deploy the Server on a machine that
has no windowing system. Second, it would be nice to have
multi-language support (Java, C++, Python, etc), possibly through UNO.
ODF Toolkit, filters and type detection should be there of course. I
suppose dictionaries and spell checker also belong there. No doubt
there is more.

The second question is the hardest and I guess it's the core
developers who can give a more accurate answer. I would like to note
that the need for a "server" component has been recognized a long time
ago and it was partially addressed. However, the chosen approach was a
hack and it is still a hack. Connecting to a headless GUI application
through sockets/pipes is not a solution. It is an approach you keep
secretly for those times when it is desperately necessary, but you
don't mention it a lot in order not to embarrass yourself. Too much of
that GUI nature is leaking through the API. It is not stable. It is
full of memory-leaks.

Any thoughts?

Yegor