On Sun, Jul 7 2024 at 10:49:36 PM +02:00:00, Marc Deop i Argemí <marcd...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
Let's say "possibly" instead of "probably". Regardless, that is a very weak argument. The fact that some information might be leaked while browsing the web has absolutely no weight on whether I would like to see even *more* data
from Fedora users collected by yet another entity (not matter how well
intended)

This is such a silly comparison, because many (probably most) of the websites you visit are *actually* spying on you. Even when you use an incognito browser window and a VPN, they're still tracking you based on the size of your screen, the fonts you have installed, the quirks of your GPU, and probably many more ways that I haven't heard of yet. They build profiles of your associations with other people based on the query parameters in the URLs that you click on. They associate all this data with a user identifier and sell it to data brokers and advertisers. It's a sad state of affairs, especially if you live in a jurisdiction without strong privacy laws.

But we do not need any creepy user profiles to get the info we need to improve Fedora. The key is keeping data points separate and not associated with other data points or the user who submitted it. We just don't have any need for user profiles; they are only useful for abusing users, not for improving Fedora. I'm pretty comfortable with this, but if you're not, you have both an off switch and a guarantee that no data will be collected without your consent. Plus, both client and server are open source. And if you want to participate in the governance process, you can join the Metrics SIG, which needs more volunteers. (Currently I have two Red Hatters and two non Red Hatters interested in joining. It'd be especially good to have more people who don't work for Red Hat.)

Michael