On Mon, Jul 08, 2024 at 08:20:05AM -0500, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 8 2024 at 09:03:50 AM -04:00:00, Neal Gompa <ngomp...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > My biggest issue with this is that it's only useful for Fedora
> > Workstation. As it is currently designed, nobody else can benefit from
> > it. I would have preferred a design that allows all Fedora variants to
> > be able to offer this so that we have more holistic understanding and
> > useful data for each team. :(
>
> It's starting out as a Workstation-only proposal for simplicity, but I think
> nothing should stop other Fedora variants from adopting the Endless metrics
> system if they want to, *except* we'd need to somehow keep metrics separate
> on a per-variant basis as we surely wouldn't want to commingle Workstation
> metrics with, say, Plasma metrics. We'd need to find some way to handle
> that. This is something I had failed to consider.

Do the metrics really need to be kept separate?

- This will be enabled only on variants that adopt the metrics system
  and presumably we will require that adoption requires the same opt-in
  process as the one proposed here for Workstation
- There is value in knowing if, say, someone installs one metric-enabled
  variant then install an alternate desktop on top (maybe that desktop
  would be a candidate for a new Spin)
- There is, down the road, once we have a more generic mechanism for
  this (I'm going to assume outside of Workstation and maybe KDE most
  smaller variants will not reinvent the wheel on the onboarding UX) -
  also value in knowing if people install a spin then end up installing
  a different desktop - there have been concerns raised about how we
  don't currently have a good way to decide what spins to stop working
  on

Also... if it turns out people are switching desktops quite often,
perhaps a way to properly switch variants cleanly without reinstalling
would be worth working on (this is already easy on immutable distros,
but there's no reason it can't be done on the traditional variants)

Best regards,

--
 _o) Michel Lind
_( ) identities: https://keyoxide.org/5dce2e7e9c3b1cffd335c1d78b229d2f7ccc04f2