On Mon, Jul 8, 2024 at 8:52 AM Tim Landscheidt <t...@tim-landscheidt.de> wrote:

> Solomon Peachy wrote:
>
> >> But with that knowledge comes the ability to work for a va-
> >> riety of organizations who will spend many resources on
> >> nudging their users to behave in a way that is not necessar-
> >> ily in their best interests.
>
> > What does "a developer's ability to choose who they work for" have to do
> > with end-user's ability to trust (and verify!) what data is being sent
> > (or not) to Fedora?
>
> Developers might not want to work for a project any longer
> that engages in behaviour that is perceived as being at odds
> with why they chose to work for that project in the first
> place.
>
> > Because what you're describing is a complete non-sequiter, and
> > represents what has been the status quo for most of Humanity's history.
> > No metrics necessary, because who cares what the peasants actually want?
>
> Looking at the proposed metrics
> (https://pagure.io/fedora-workstation/blob/master/f/notes/metrics-to-collect.md),
> the "peasants" who do not form part of the majority of the
> users might indeed worry about how bug reports, etc. are
> processed if they (objectively) only affect x % of all in-
> stallations.

My biggest issue with this is that it's only useful for Fedora
Workstation. As it is currently designed, nobody else can benefit from
it. I would have preferred a design that allows all Fedora variants to
be able to offer this so that we have more holistic understanding and
useful data for each team. :(

Additionally, there's also the concern of whether the Red Hat Display
Systems Team (fka Red Hat Desktop Team) will actually *do* anything
once this data is available.