On Mon, Jul 08, 2024 at 12:50:52PM +0000, Tim Landscheidt wrote:
> Developers might not want to work for a project any longer
> that engages in behaviour that is perceived as being at odds
> with why they chose to work for that project in the first
> place.

Well... yeah?

That sounds like a self-correcting problem.  If it is indeed a problem.

> (https://pagure.io/fedora-workstation/blob/master/f/notes/metrics-to-collect.md),
> the "peasants" who do not form part of the majority of the
> users might indeed worry about how bug reports, etc. are
> processed if they (objectively) only affect x % of all in-
> stallations.

So given (very!) limited resources, what criteria do you propose for
prioritizing which bug reports to tackle?  Are you saying that "bugs
affecting more users" shouldn't be prioiritized over those that affect
fewer users?

If you want *your* bugs resolved first, then you have _always_ had to
either (1) DoItYourself(tm), or (2) pay (or otherwise convince) someone
else to do it for you.

For a related example dear to me, Gutenprint just announced that it is
completely dropping MacOS support, and it has not been received well.
It is undoubtedly quite important for those users, but complaints don't
magically make suitably skilled developers appear [1], much less make them
stick around for what is an endless grind of trying to keep up with
Apple's forced obselesence and other platform-level shenenigans.

[1] The former MacOS maintiner walked away in early 2021.  Nobody left
    even has _access_ to a Mac, much less the necessary skills to solve the
    outstanding issues.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy                        pizza at shaftnet dot org (email&xmpp)
                                      @pizza:shaftnet dot org   (matrix)