Pete wrote:
Gee Ian, you really are being constructive and encouraging people to
want to help solve the current batch of issues in freenet atm aren't
you?

We *are* working to solve the issues in NGR, but this moaning is frustrating and doesn't help.

> The suggestion of backing the build back to a known 'good' version is > a reasonable one, as if there is at least a working network for new
> members to join they won't give up and f' off.

The notion that all will be well if we revert back to an old build is rediculous, have those people considered that the reason it worked well in the past is because the network was much smaller then?

The very same people that are moaning about our recent efforts now are exactly the same people that will be singing the praises of NGR when we do get it working well. Sometimes you need to take a few steps backwards before you take a large leap forwards.

Constructive criticism is always welcome, but the luddite notion that we need to revert to an older build is idiotic, and simply groaning about poor performance without offering to help is unconstructive and frustrating.

Please don't ruin the sense of community that freenet has managed to
build by causing a rift between the devs and users by using the old
parentage routine of "We're right, you'll do as your told" as people
will lose faith in development for example

A number of new people have been contributing very positively over the past few weeks by reporting bugs, coming up with constructive suggestions and debating them, and helping us track down problems in the code. I am quite sure that those people would certainly not characterize the developer's attitude as "We're right, you'll do as your told".

However, to those who unconstructively moan about problems, push silly solutions like turning back the clock (which would likely hurt the network even more *and* frustrate our efforts to get NGR working), and then complain when developers express frustration at them, these are the people that really hurt the Freenet development effort at a time when developers need user's support most.

Ian.