On Wednesday 07 Mar 2012 17:55:57 Thomas Sachau wrote:
> Nicolas Hernandez schrieb:
> > Hello Ian,
> >
> > We are still looking for the best choice between running in jetty
> > a. Accessibility for devs (nice eclipse plugin for example)
> > b. Accessibility for user
> > c. Light weight
> > d. Performance
> >
> > In our side the priority are like that a>b>d>c (+eclipse plugin)
> > Four some freenet devs it loks like c>d>a>b (+velocity for templating)
> >
> > Not so easy to make the good choice. We have three mains ideas
> > A- using Apache Wickets http://wicket.apache.org/
> > B- gwt
>
> I dont contribute code as a freenet dev, but i do package it for Gentoo
> linux and from that perspective, i have to strongly vote against gwt.
> That thing is a big beast with many included external libs, often even
> modified ones and a complex build system. I once tried to create a
> package for it, it took me many hours and there was still no good
> result. So unless this has greatly increased or someone else can provide
> a sane package for Gentoo, requiring this framework to build freenet
> would result in freenet being dropped from Gentoo as a package.

Generally we don't WANT packages, because they get frozen in time for years.
But gentoo is an exception.

Also, there is a package for GWT for Debian, I wonder if somebody has done one
for Gentoo? A lot of stuff uses GWT ...

However I am skeptical about GWT because of the javascript vs non-javascript
issue. Maybe that's less now but there was a very strong party on FMS etc for
providing a non-JS option last time we discussed it.