On Saturday 10 Mar 2012 02:54:15 Steve Dougherty wrote:
> Should we get rid of more of the steps in the first-run setup? Asking
> about datastore size is a must, but perhaps we can get away with
> something like what I2P does where it assumes a very low bandwidth limit
> and encourages users to raise it afterwards. This could work well
> alongside requiring a 5KiB/s minimum.

No, unfortunately Freenet won't work well with less than about 16KB/sec :(

And a lot of people who want or even need to use it have less than that
available.

Usually we can detect the bandwidth from the router. We can't skip it even in
that case because of the next item ...

> I2P works very nicely with
> something that would work without Javascript, but works much better
> with: it shows for a given speed setting how much it will likely use per
> month. That a way better way to deal with monthly bandwidth limits than
> asking directly.

More advanced users will definitely want to know the exact figure per second,
but maybe we need an advanced mode - that's an extra step but it could be a
checkbox or something.

I agree 100% that we need to show traffic per month on the bandwidth selector.
This is planned but not implemented IIRC. Although I'd need to see a mockup -
it's a lot of information, doing it separately as we do now may be easier.

Also more generally, fewer but more complex steps isn't necessarily more user
friendly.