On Sunday 11 Mar 2012 12:53:11 Arne Babenhauserheide wrote:
> Am Freitag, 9. März 2012, 21:52:22 schrieb Steve Dougherty:
> > Should we get rid of more of the steps in the first-run setup?
>
> I think yes - if people choose the default installation, they should not be
> forced to take additional decisions.

The main difficulty is, one complex page is not better than four simple pages.

> Maybe it would even be possible to just show a pane “Basic Config” which
> shows
> preselected configuration values, each with an edit-button (“change”).
>
> (I use [button] for buttons with the text “button”)
>
> ### Basic Config ###

Language should normally be set by the installer. We already automatically
enable UPnP, turn off JSTUN, and enable auto-updating on LOW security. I think
we ask about them on HIGH? We don't need to ask about auto-updating IMHO, and
JSTUN is too much of a risk for the more paranoid folk; UPnP is only dangerous
on student LANs and even there there isn't that much they can do to you.

We still need to ask for low security/high security as the first page, with
custom = expert mode. Maybe we should rename "Custom security" to "Expert mode"
?

Browser warnings should go away most of the time.

> Please check the default configuration. Change values which don’t fit:
>
> * Encrypted Datastore Size: 2 GiB [change]

This is sensible. We can produce a sensible default, we can combine it.

> * Assigned Bandwidth: 10 KiB/s (26 GiB per month) [change]

Most connections are asymmetric but Freenet's usage is fairly asymmetric.
Whether ISPs charge for / cap total monthly transfer or just download varies.
Showing just the output limit probably makes sense here, there's no sense
limiting download since it's almost entirely driven by usage... unless you have
a monthly cap. Hmmm ... We are trying to avoid having to show
cover-your-backside explanation messages here as they bloat everything out to
multiple pages ... Maybe we can get away with "26GB per month plus your
downloads" or something though.

One day we will have the ability to set a monthly limit AS WELL as the
bandwidth limit here. We can deal with that on clicking Change though...

On LOW security, we don't ask for a password. On HIGH, we ask. Either way we
encrypt using master.keys. We could maybe include that here too.

> * …
>
> [Finish and connect now]
>
> (4 values, one for each pane of the current wizard)
>
> > I2P works very nicely with
> > something that would work without Javascript, but works much better
> > with: it shows for a given speed setting how much it will likely use per
> > month. That a way better way to deal with monthly bandwidth limits than
> > asking directly.
>
> I would like that.

I agree that is important. It doesn't need Javascript though.