Step back and take a deep breath. I'm not telling you to shutdown your website and foundation and host your project on Tor' s site.

I'm questioning if the overhead of designing and maintaining yet another anonymity protocol makes sense given Freenet's current situation. You can concentrate on polishing Freenet UX and storage algorithms instead and leave the anonymity to Tor. Its an intensive process coming up with something that stands up against serious enemies. Tor gets most of the academic community's attention improving against attacks all the time. You get this for free by switching to their protocol for transport.

Not every developer that designed their app to communicate over Tor or a socks proxy, stuck their software with theirs. It's a more sensible decision than everyone rolling a custom anonymous protocol every time they wanted such services. Just like crypto, its better to go with a standard cipher checked the most by researchers than writing your own. Again I'm not criticizing your effort but your wiki page on attacks against Freenet does not inspire confidence in your target audience of investigate journalists and whistleblowers.

On 2015-10-15 23:57, Ian wrote:
Software isn't like playdough, you can't take two different software
projects and just stick them together, and expect the result to make sense
(even if the projects have related goals).

In terms of the benefits of an alliance with Tor I'm afraid you're being
naive.  From Tor's perspective, an "alliance" with Freenet would make
absolutely no sense.  They'd essentially just be diverting developers,
users, and funding away from their own project.  Don't get me wrong,
they're  nice guys, but it would simply be irrational.

Tor and Freenet might be related at a high-level, but this whole idea that separate software projects should all be glued together into one huge mass
of bloatware is very misguided.  It's the polar opposite of the Unix
philosophy <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_philosophy>. I wish people
would stop suggesting it.  It wouldn't solve any problem and would be a
massive waste of time and resources.

Ian.

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 4:35 PM, <salutarydiacritica...@ruggedinbox.com>