Right now Freenet discovers other clients on opennet by way of seed nodes. Hypothetically you can run the nodes as hidden services and embed the addresses in Freenet clients. Clients generate their own hidden address keys and build routing tables from them.

No distributed system on I2P or Tor comes close to Freenet features. WoT, library, the plugin ecosystem and Opennet bring a lot of value compared to other systems. Opennet is a big part of Freenet's attraction and you shouldn't tear it out. The tunneling idea sounds great and it should get priority. Maybe you should discuss it with the Tor developers and see if they can help.

PS what NSA documents mention contractors attacking Freenet?

@Ian

Freenet has many selling points besides anonymity as I said. I'm surprised you don't see that.

Tor is not easily blocked by China and people connect from behind the Great Firewall everyday. They've been making all kinds of advancements in bridge technology and obfuscated protocols to bypass DPI. They have ways to distribute bridges and software packages that get around censorship of their website. Infrastructure for your users potentially.

@Arne

I am a Freenet user. I care about Freenet and want it to be popular with people facing most dangerous threats.

Tor is adding inter-relay adaptive padding soon to stop timing attacks.

https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2015-September/009485.html

How did Freenet solve this? If a bad node can connect to you on Opennet, they can do traffic analysis on your requests. With no guard nodes an attacker can connect to everyone in short time. You can add node pinning and tunnels but that's a lot of work.