On Sat, 2015-10-17 at 11:56 +0200, Arne Babenhauserheide wrote:
> > Do we have the resources to fight it? Is it a good use of our
> (limited)
> > resources/time?
>
> Here’s an example of my reason for supporting opennet: A good friend
> who uses Freenet specifically to communicate with me (in a way where
> can write freely) told me a few weeks ago “I now activated »connect
> strangers« and now Freenet works well”.

Freenet not working so well in pure-darknet mode is due to several
factors, one of which is that there are hybrid nodes. If most nodes had
the same peer count as the average darknet node there wouldn't be a
huge performance gap like there is now. Remove hybrid node support and
you'll see that the performance gap narrows. More connected peers
doesn't mean "faster", especially on a network of the size we currently
have.

What are the other reasons?

Florent