On 11/02/2015 08:02 AM, Bob Ham wrote:
> On Mon, 2015-11-02 at 06:28 -0500, Steve Dougherty wrote:

>>> The current strategy is to not document things. I think calling it a
>>> strategy is a stretch because a strategy requires coordination and
>>> planning. No one has wanted to document the protocol, so it hasn't
>>> gotten documented.
>>
>> Er, that's poor phrasing. No one has wanted to document the protocol
>> enough to document it themselves. I'm not being insightful here - it
>> hasn't happened, so our "strategy" is to not do it.
>
> You're right, that's not a strategy.
>
> Regardless, I think there's some confusion here.  I'm not talking about
> a strategy for creating a file containing information about the Freenet
> protocol.  What I'm talking about a strategy for getting the protocol to
> a point where it's worth other people implementing it and then writing
> high quality documentation that allows them to do so, possibly even
> publishing an RFC describing it.
>
> It seems that nobody here believes that in five years' time Freenet
> developers will be publishing an RFC.  Instead, people seem to be
> focussed on updating the website, worrying about user interface niggles
> and fretting over whether users can install new versions of Fred easily
> enough.
>
> I'm talking about a strategy for getting the project to a point where it
> can actually have meaningful impact on the world.  There doesn't seem to
> be any direction in the project.  There's some software and some kind of
> community around it but there seems to be no vision of how to move
> forward to a point where the project contributes to something wider.
>
> What is the priority of the project, is it to ensure that as many
> Windows users as possible have a little Freenet icon in their status
> tray?  Or is it to play a role in creating a world where nobody really
> uses Windows because they recognise how massive a threat it is to their
> privacy and security?  At the moment the priority seems to be the former
> and there seems to be no idea about how to approach the latter (a
> "strategy").

I feel like you're belitting what work we do because we have not
performed it in accordance with an overarching strategy. While you are
correct that working toward a larger vision can be a very good thing,
I'm hurt by that. I do have ideas for workflows I'd like to see Freenet
support, and can go into them if you'd consider that enough to be a
strategy.

Do you have any suggestions to make?