On Saturday, 31. October 2015 16:27:42 Bob Ham wrote:
> 15:47 < pintu> there is no clear strategy on how to get from here to a
> robust, published protocol enabling censorship resistant publishing

Your wording carries invalid assumptions and contradicting goals.

1. invalid assumption: a published protocol is required to enable
   censorship resistant publishing.

This is incorrect, because Freenet already enables censorship
resistant publishing. A published protocol only makes it easier to
write additional programs which use it.

Our weakness at attracting users isn’t in the protocol. Documenting
the protocol does nothing to improve the baroque user interface, add
more applications which use the capabilities of Freenet (a secure
drop-box does not need a published protocol, and the same goes for
games over Freenet, ...).

2. invalid assumption and contradicting goal: publishing a protocol
   makes it more robust.

a published protocol can make it harder to create a robust protocol,
because it creates additional documentation overhead. This can help
making a protocol more robust, if there are multiple existing
implementations in a similar state of completeness. This isn’t the
case with Freenet.

Having multiple existing implementations can make it much harder to
make a protocol robust, since they all have to be kept
synchronized. This makes it almost impossible to do changes which are
incompatible with earlier changes. Freenet had quite a few of these in
the past years, and some of them already hurt with only a single
implementation.

3. incorrect assumption: Freenet is not robust.

Compared to many of the systems out there, Freenet is pretty robust.

4. incorrect assumption: There is no clear strategy about the
   documentation of the protocol.

The current clear strategy includes not spending money on documenting
the protocol and instead improving the implementation.

If you want to document the protocol, we won’t tell you to stop (it
would make it easier for people to start hacking the low-level parts
of Freenet). So if you care about that, go read the friendly source
and document the protocol.

If you do that, ensure that you link each part of the documentation to
the relevant source files, so people who read your documentation can
check whether it is still up to date.

And all of this has already been said in the chatlog you included.

If you want to make Freenet better, put your Java skills to the task
(and in case you don’t know Java, it’s pretty easy to learn the
necessary basics to improve Freenet).

If you want Freenet to have more users, build applications which use
it. The client protocol is sufficiently documented and supported by
libraries in several languages, that it’s easy to use Freenet as
backend.

Best wishes,
Arne