I would really like to still be able to use 1 tool, i.e. currently the mail
client, to read the mails for either devs or users. Sure, answering to
users should be done on discourse, but I would not like to have to juggle
yet another service.

I understand that what you describe seems like a bug. Did we try to report
it to discourse? On a quick google I'm unable to find such a behavior
described. We could try reporting it otherwise.

P.S.: I have re-enabled the "Enable mailing list mode" option to the
discourse mailman user. Will watch it to see when/if it gets disabled again.

Thanks,
Eduard