I have been catching up with this thread and have been encouraged by its inclusion of practical details beyond simple hardware. I was interested to read the emails about problems getting to a cyber cafe, and about maintenance costs and other issues regarding new and recycled computers. Perhaps list members would be interested in practical details, on related topics, from Nigeria.

~ Ref access to cyber cafe's from Ibadan in Nigeria.
On Sundays I often try to be home from around 4 p.m, ready for a possible yahoo chat with my friend Chief Gbade Adejumo. He is chairman of Oke-Ogun Community Development Network, and we try to keep in touch on alternate weekends. Last Sunday he apologised for keeping me waiting. He explained it was the usual problem of "congestion". He has been waiting an hour to get online. The previous session was even worse - as illustrated by the excerpt below taken from the start of our chat. hello Pam i'm on....i hav been struggling since 4pm to get in touch.this the 3rd cafe i'm in....

the 1st was off air the 2nd i could not asaccess my box until i got here

When Chief did finally get through to me it was 7pm.

~ Ref issues around new and recycled computers .

Fantsuam Foundation has considerable experience of using recycled computers - and providing them to others - so it is well acquainted with their benefits and disadvantages. Fantsuam Foundation is currently working with ExpLAN on development of the Solo (low powered, low maintenance, long life, robust, open source software) computer. It won't be cheap - but its total cost of ownership will be very competitive.

The Solo is designed for a long life in rural Africa and is being thoroughly tested to perform well in local conditions and to suit local needs. It will be assembled locally, on a small scale (probably around 100 units a month). Local assembly means that every purchase is accompanied by money circulating in the local economy. The design team has trained the small assembly team, and will keep them abreast of relevant new developments, so there will be ongoing technology transfer. The little maintenance that is likely to be required will be provided through the local producers.

When demand grows additional small assembly centres will be set up elsewhere, in a similar way to the way things have developed at Fantsuam..Initial training took place earlier this year. The Fantsuam team has been testing and demonstrating the Solo in various places since, and working on the practicalities of sourcing components, raising start-up funds, attracting advance orders and so on A discussion of the limtations of PCs and the benefits of the Solo can be found at www.explan.co.uk/solo/appropriate.html.

People in rural Nigeria need computers. The Solo may or may not be the ultimate ideal solution - I don't have the knowlege to judge it - but from the practical experience of people in and around Fantsuam it has proved itself to be uniquely suited to their needs and way out in front of anything else in many ways.

Pam

Pamela McLean
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
CAWDnet convenor