At 12:23 AM +0100 10/1/05, Cindy Lemcke-Hoong wrote:
For the young, and some professionals, cell phone and
WIFI are fashionable and/or on the go. But is it a
MUST? I wonder.

Cindy, at the University of Oregon I see large numbers walking through this lovely campus, heavy with trees and the colors of Fall, the ears glued to a cell phone. If one is near or with those in their early 20's, on can't play a game of pool, have a uninterrupted conversation, eat a meal without the interruption of a phone ring, followed quickly by "Hi Jimmy - what's up". Followed by inane conversation (usually brief) (followed by text messaging).

I call it the Tyranny of the Instant. And it seems to be getting worse.

Signed,
Complaining geezer
--
John W. Hibbs
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

About the Institute
http://www.bfranklin.edu

About John Hibbs
http://www.bfranklin.edu/johnhibbs

About Global Learn Day
http://www.bfranklin.edu/gld

About a long term stint abroad
http://www.bfranklin.edu/champions

Three months abroad?
 ---Celebrating The Franklin Tercentenary
http://www.bfranklin.edu/ambassadors
http://www.ben300.com

Eugene, Oregon, USA

TEL: +1 541 343 9389