Alfred,

Thank you for sending your Sept 29 draft of Global Rich Lifelong
Learning, reflecting curriculum and delivery development over several
decades.   From my background as education advocate and interest in
Digital Literacy Research from a policy/impact/cost/investor perspective
(that is, nontechnical, interested party), following are
comments/questions:

1. Record-based learning. Initial edit suggestion in Abstract: For a
general audience, I would begin with "this paper considers the major
global problem of bringing high quality (record-based or document-based)
learning (herinafter "learning") to everyone ....  (Such) learning is
often non-existent or marginal in the developing parts of the world. ...

2. 3-4 person group learning model. Most interesting is the
documentation of the value of 3-4 person groups engaged among each other
and with questioner in clarifying terms, responses and individualized
"memory development" by speaking in a group, and remembering it
better/longer because of engagement in the event including in
acquiescene of others about a person's best estimate of response in the
context.  Similarly, the documentation of the cost of developing
questions by peer groups, and administering them in reaching peer
networks in-person, on-line programmed learning by voice response, by
distance learning communication, is very helpful in communicating to
investors with interests in reaching particular audiences.

3. Voice and computer interface model.  The primary use of
voice-response model, which may be followed by computer-access (with or
without voice response) is very powerful when available, including
potentially by low-cost cell phone or other device for both speaking and
keyboard entry.  I like the model of enabling each student to link such
learning to Integrated Learning Profile, with a lot of storage for
current work, and personal histories including health records (needed
for participation in most facility-based locations) and linked with
skill & interest self-assessments, and portfolio of products of any kind
which the student is proud, such as 6th graders constructing flyers to
advertise local services or businesses they visit.  This model links
well with Locker-Room Homework Software systems developed in U.S. by
several libraries and other providers, to help prepare for interaction
with local schools.  It also links well with personal
health-first-focused efforts of parties like Gates Foundation.

4. Interface with paperless libraries.  I like the capacity for many
learners, in a variety of languages, to access the exploding universe of
low/no-cost "worldwide or regional content catalogs" of libraries,
education agencies, business ventures, often tied to distance-connected
Instructional Support Centers for teacher/instructor/facilitator parties
with responsibilities for particular curricula to particular learners.
This model allows for the individual to interact with local teacher (or
not) in a small group setting, and including in a project-learning
setting.  I note in Illinois, there are about 4000 libraries and the
Secretary of State of Illinois funds major adult literacy programs,
similar to efforts in other U.S. and overseas jurisdictions, operating
through joint education-library-healthcare telecommunication networks,
facilitating flexible access, and lowest cost delivery to meet learner
needs (learner chooses which facilitator helps the most in access to
learning).  Similarly, in Illinois the new president of U of I Joseph
White has proposed "making no small plans" for role of landgrant
university, including in healthcare and economic development, and has
suggested there might be a new virtual campus of U of I called
University of Illinois Unlimited (UIUL) modeled on continuing
education/distance learning people/technology model of privately-funded
University of Phoenix, which now has nearly 230,000 students in one or
more course linkages.  Clearly, other countries might use such a
framework in k-12 arena as well, with entry facilitated by facilitators
of groups of 3-4 learners of any age.   I believe we are on the verge of
widespread use of Information ATM cards, which will provide access as
Electronic Library or Learning Cards, which again could link well with
voice-data-response interface for structured learning/examination
validation and self-assessment and tracking of learning/career plans
(Personal Information Management tools).

5. Project-based learning.  Such learning is a natural extension of a
learner's identification of what they want to learn, and how they want
to learn it, and taking responsibility for reporting on what they
learned, and what they did.  This is also a means to "grubstake" the
acquisition of ICT interface equipment and access connections in returns
for youth undertaking "civic engagement projects" of their own choosing,
learning along the way.  Again, project-based learning, with a person of
any age presenting to peers and more-experienced persons their "product"
is one of the most highly memorable learning experiences.  Do you
remember special projects/dramatic plays that you performed in front of
others, and got their feedback?  I'm sure we all do, going back to 6th
grade, etc.  Do you remember who gave you your first "paid" summer job,
or admitted you to a special 1-6 week education training opportunity,
camp experience, etc., often with a community service component?  At a
collegiate level, there are clearly role-based learning experiences,
where individuals learn their most effective roles/workstyles within
groups whether in business, nonprofit or public agency "enterprise" or
service-delivery mission (I participated in developing an unfunded
freshman course in such "community enterprise roles" in Chicago.)

6. Who pays?  All of the above are essentially inquiries into who pays,
as a combination of research grants, company subsidization of
model-building, and school or library or health care system delivery.
As your summary notes the on-and-off financial commitments, the question
would seem to require a minimum of 7 year commitment by any party.  It
seems there may be opportunities for country-wide applications of
elements of voice/3-4 person record-based learning, based models to be
invested in by a combination of library and health-related foundations
(e.g. Gates) and International Agencies, with U.S. agencies
participating to some degree.  The question is "who has the
responsibility" for delivering better quality of life over any 7 year
period, in order to make these models work and help persons one-by-one
(or groups of 3-4)? It would seem these are the parties that need to
"buy" the learning for all model for their particular country, language,
region, along with the "pump priming" investments you have made to
ensure they are a success.

I don't know if this helps, but it helpful to me in Illinois in
clarifying my thinking and planning next steps for Digital Literacy
awareness, access, and skills in low-income areas of our state, and
making presenations to legislature and public agencies for support of
particular steps.  Some of these steps can be seen at www.mtag.org of
Midwest Technology Access Group, linked with parties at UIC Managerial
Studies and other parts of University of Illinois, and parties hosting
conferneces on Community Technology and Telecommunications and rural
economic development/telehealth, where I am on planning committees, as
illustrated at:
http://www.communitydevelopment.uiuc.edu/telecom2005/

Perhaps sometime when I am in California I might have an opportunity to
visit your program to see your tremendous work in person.  (I was born
and raised in L.A., and get out there to visit family from time to
time.)

Layton Olson, board member
Midwest Technology Access Group, and

Layton E. Olson, Esq.