Hello John,

>I call it the Tyranny of the Instant. And it seems
>to be getting worse.

This can be a topic on its own. I think many of the
DDN issues are more human and social. Such as this
one. It might have moved away from the original
subject topic, but ...

Personally I think most people took the 'instant'
motto  too far. With that we gradually
changing/destroying our private and social life. And
sometime political. Cell phones and instant messages
are not the only problem, we have CNN, BBC world news
and others that bring in good or bad news from around
the world instantly. I think we become 'frangmented'
because we are not 'allow' the time and the space to
think, to plan, to research more before taking action.
We are being pushed to give 'on the spot' decisions,
and then have to swallow the blame if something goes
wrong. I am sure many of us have seen enough of the
recent Katrina so called unfolding events. On certain
issues I like the exposures, but on others I don't
think it is really fair...

In the UK and I think also in NL, cell phone are
banned on some train carriages. Passengers just want
to have some peace and quiet moments while travelling.

When I used to teach there was a rule we all observed,
both instructors and trainees, cell phones and pages
off or on vibration. Most trainees (professionals)
also had the courtesy to inform the instructor before
hand they might step out for urgent calls. I am quite
amazed to see laptops in the classroom these days. I
think there is a place for everything. I can imagine
some would argue about taking notes, but how about the
noise from machines and typing that might be annoying
to others? What about curtesy to the lecturers or
speakers? Why are we accepting it? It is becasue we
are afraid others would call us old fashion? Or do we
really need to be so Instant?

Cindy Hoong