On Thursday, 12 December 2013 at 09:21:46 UTC, monarch_dodra wrote:
On Wednesday, 11 December 2013 at 19:45:25 UTC, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
As for my future plans, I'm hoping to land myself a nice
programming-related job next year. I've never had a programming job, most of the paid work I ever did was physical work, such as drilling
through bricks, rock, concrete, installing and repairing air
conditioners, installing central heating systems, lighting and
electrical work, and stuff like that.

I'm actually baffled to hear that someone of your caliber has is not a professional programmer. Passion and theory alone will only get you so far... (IMO).

So, I hope you land yourself that job.

clip

Andrej is like Matt Damon's character in "Good Will Hunting" (hopefully without all the psychological issues). Good luck in the job hunt.

I am sort of the Anti-Andrej. My big accomplishment for 2013 was to complete my Ph.D. in Computer Science (after many years), but I am actually not a fantastic programmer. My degree is in 'theoretical' computer science, a number of the profs in my research group would likely have been happy to do all their work with just paper and pencils. I kept asking my supervisor to let me do some implementation project as part of my research, but he kept answering "No, it will take too long". Finally, a reviewer for one of our papers said the only way he would except it was if we included 'experimental results'. So I got to implement something, and of course I used D!

Considering I have a BES and M.Sc. in Geography, and no extensive math background, I figure getting a Ph.D. in CS is a bit of a coup on my part.

With that out of the way my goal for 2014 is to improve as a programmer and hopefully start making some contributions to the D community. I actually started making some small documentation corrections to various D projects this past year, and want to work my way up to something more substantial.

Congratulations to all the new parents out there.

Cheers,
Craig