On Wednesday, 17 May 2017 at 17:11:14 UTC, Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) wrote:
On 05/16/2017 10:51 AM, Benro wrote:
A quick summary trying to get D and a some IDEs running on a Windows
environment.

Full-on IDEs always make simple things complicated. If you're on Windows, I highly recommend Programmer's Notepad 2. Works great with D out-of-the-box (as well as gobs of other languages), is lightning-quick and responsive, and highly configurable.

Sublime Text is equally good, if you don't mind a non-native UI.

If you're ever checking it out on Linux, KDevelop is pretty decent. Heck, even Kate has built-in D support.

I'm in agreement on that. I used IDEs for a while, but there was a lot of mental overhead, at least for me. But I can understand that someone coming from a language like Java would feel that an IDE is a necessity.

What I find a bit surprising is someone holding up Go as an example of a language with a good IDE situation. Back when I used Go (before discovering D) I saw almost exactly the same discussions. Go had no goods IDEs and it was hurting adoption and you can't program without an IDE. The responses were pretty much the same as those here: you don't need an IDE to write Go code. As an example, there's this thread from 2015, long after I had moved on from Go: https://www.quora.com/Go-programming-language-What-is-the-best-IDE-to-use-for-Go