assuming I would ever be offered such a big project I would likely having to
work in a team. As there aren't that many other d programmers I've met it
would likely be in jave or c# (maybe c++).
I would bring d up though but it will only be taken seriously if
availability of other librarys aren't an issue. I wouldn't be afraid of the
more complex functions as long as it's self-explanatory assuming another
programmer is going to read it later and as there is a high chance he can't
program in D.

I do think dmd is a capable compiler as walter bright has a lot of
experience with writing compilers. Right now the eclipse plugin for d is
working very good and keeps getting better.