"Peter Alexander" <peter.alexander...@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:j50io4$rdq$2...@digitalmars.com...
> On 16/09/11 11:23 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> "Peter Alexander"<peter.alexander...@gmail.com>  wrote in message
>>> I recently stumbled across this (old) blog post:
>>> http://prog21.dadgum.com/13.html
>>>
>>> In summary, the author asks if you were offered $100,000,000 for some
>>> big
>>> software project, would you use your pet programming language?
>>>
>>> This is interesting, because if we answer "no" then it forces us to
>>> think
>>> about the reasons why we would *not* use D, and perhaps those concerns
>>> are
>>> what we should be focusing on?
>>>

>> As long as D *could* be used (ie, I had my choice of language, and there
>> was
>> no requirement of ARM, JVM, in-browser scripting/applet, or shared
>> hosting
>> without native-compiled custom CGI support, etc), then the more critical
>> the
>> project was, and the more money involved, the more I would *insist* on
>> using
>> D.
>
> You don't know up front whether or not an ARM port will be required. The
> requirements are subject to change like any real project, although not
> excessively so (as he says in the post).

If we assume requirements are subject to any unforseen changes, then *any*
language would be prone to potential disaster. If we assume the "subject to
changes" is not excessively so, then it's safe to consider a completely
out-of-the-blue "oh, we need this an ARM" to be a comparatively low risk to
other features that would have had at least some sort of early mention.

Plus, like Walter indicated, for that kind of money I could just hire
someone, hell, even a whole company, to either do a langauge port or an ARM
backend.