On Wednesday, 4 July 2012 at 08:40:46 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
It depends on the API. All that the word read indicates is that data was read. It doesn't indicate anything about what was read from or what happened to it. In some cases, read doesn't alter what's read at all. In others it does.

There's an iterator type that I deal with at work which uses read to indicate that a value was read but the iterator wasn't moved, and it uses consume to indicate that not only was the value read but that the iterator was moved.

- Jonathna M Davis

If we have both front and readFront, it would be natural to expect readFront to have side-effect on range. But I'm fine with both options, just personally I would select read.