On Wednesday, 4 July 2012 at 08:25:19 UTC, Mehrdad wrote:

Where have you last ever seen a read() method whose default behavior was NOT to modify the collection/range/iterator/stream/whatever?

That's a good question. When writing it, I was thinking about real world analogies like reading a book, not about APIs. But you are right, read is most often used with streams where it does change the stream.

So I wouldn't object the choice of readFront, but would be happier if all of the streaming APIs out there would use retrieve instead of read :-)