Re: "The technical world, and especially amateur radio should rise
above that in concerted efforts to accomplish desired common goals."

A prerequisite for concerted action is to clearly state the goal, and
to have that goal make sense.

To me, pronouncements from inept bureacratic organizations are more
likely to contain anti-goals then goals.

Since we have a worldwide internet that does a fine job of
transporting email messages, what's the rationale for building,
organizing, and operating an HF-based world-wide email transport
system that's entirely independent of the internet? The need for a
means of rapidly compensating for  local internet outages is obvious,
but you're proposing something many orders of magnitude more
comprehensive, complex, and expensive. The question is not "could
such a system be created"; it certainly could. The question is, "why
should we build and deploy it?".

    73,

        Dave, AA6YQ

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "DuBose Walt Civ AETC CONS/LGCA"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Dave,
>
> What you say is mostly true.
>
> However, the actual infrastructure, network design has been made.
>
> The major, regional, district and in some cases local HF node
owners/operators (and their backups for redundancy) would have to
agree to maintain an almost 100% on-the-air operational capacity.
Additionally, some nodes would likely maintain "watch" on 2 or 3
frequencies.  In other locations, their might need to be 2 or 3
stations serving the area (region, district or local) that might only
be able to watch one frequency.

> Down at the local level, it would be expected that messages would
be "dumped off" to V/UHF systems using the same E-Mail/messaging
format/protocol.  BTW, an open source server and client E-
Mail/messaging protocol exist...there is simply the need to interface
it to a ubiquitous modem.

> There should be no need for a mesh network as it would not be
expected that stations would be mobile.  The network does however
consider portable operations.

> I think the motivation is there in the individuals who now handle
traffic on the NTS and perhaps even more would join if the system
used only a currently available HF or V/UHF transceiver system and
PC...no additional hardware required.

> This is what FEMA and DHS desired when they joined in with the ARRL
in an MOA back a few years ago.

> We have come a long way since the AX.25 SkipNet on HF and TCP/IP
NOS systems operating on 2M and 70cm.  And most of that experience or
rather lessons learned can be and will be applied to any new
national/international messaging system.

> All that is needed is for some to present a
requirements/specifications document (a specific goal) that the
amateur radio community will accept and work toward in a concerted
manner.  Thus far, there has been no concerted amateur radio effort
to accomplish a like task.  Rather a few individuals who pursue their
own ideas what a few others follow...much like the "clans" of 1000+
years or more ago.

> Society has seen the need for concerted efforts in accomplishing
common goals, yet today there is still much clannish movements in all
corners of the of society.  The technical world, and especially