How does the crest factor relate to the mean power vs the peak power? It
doesn't seem correct to add 3 to that figure to come up with the crest
factor.

Patrick has the peak and mean power for the various modes listed in the
documentation for Multipsk, but I am not clear how to convert them to
crest factor.

My understanding is that the peak power and average power of a
rectangular wave is 1. It can't be correct to add 3 to that value to
come up with 4, can it?

And MT-63 which has a peak to average of 10 times has a crest factor of 13?

If you want to "broadcast" a message from one to many, then the only
practical alternative is to use a non-ARQ mode, typically with a large
amount of FEC. While this is done on amateur frequencies for sending a
bulletin, calling CQ, and having a roundtable, if your goal is to have
accurate messaging, then I don't see any option other than a good ARQ
system.

If Clover II would have worked better, I would have considered keeping
my HAL P-38 board. But it was not that good with weak signals. Also, the
P-38 had serious problems with Pactor back then. I remember someone
later criticizing me for not using a 386 computer for the card. But at
that time the 386 was barely even invented and 286 machines were state
of the art.