Chris,

There are several amateur radio to e-mail systems available now and they
all use ARQ.

For sending a shared resource, such as is done all the time on SSTV, the
stations are often using WinDream or Hampal which allow you to send out
replacements for bad segments. It can be time consuming, but it will
allow for perfect copy on the receiving end without repeating the entire
data stream.

The timing issue for ARQ has been solved for the PC side. And most any
rig would be able to handle it easily. The one exception was Amtor and
that is pretty much obsolete as an ARQ mode as it only transmitted three
characters on each "chirp."