--- DuBose Walt Civ AETC CONS/LGCA
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Let me give one incident where high through put
> would be most desirable...
>
> When hurricanes hit the Texas Gulf Coast,  all but
> radio communications can be lost between
> Brownsville, Texas to Houston, Texas.  The weather
> stations there may have their eather radars
> operational but unable to send the "picture" or data
> to other weather stations.  A highspeed, error free,
> robust, realtime, HF data mode is needed.  The radar
> information may be 7.50 K bytes or larger.  This
> data would need to be repeated every 5-10 minutes
> during critial stages of a hurricane.
>
> Walt/K5YFW

It was needed to be done here, during the passage of
hurricane Ivan, the only communications link between
"La Bajada" meteo radar station in the western tip of
Cuba and INSMET in Havana was a NVIS link on HF ham
radio frequencies, IN VOICE. Telephone and microwave
relay towers fell with the wind gusts.

The NHC in Miami also received that data.

It would be more reliable to do it with a robust data
link. But a similar scenario happened here, hurricanes
use to do that...

Jose, CO2JA

http://mail.yahoo.com

<*> Your email settings: