--- KV9U <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> You are misinterpreting what I was asking. Probably
> because I did a poor
> explanation.
>
> What I am asking, and no one seems to confirm, is
> whether or not the MIL
> or STANAG modems really are running at multi
> thousand baud rates on HF
> frequencies, or whether they are adding up the
> individual baud rates of
> the tones and claiming that as the baud rate?
>
> As an example, the Clover II waveform has four tones
> that operate at
> 31.25 baud. The total speed of the protocol varies
> depending upon which
> modulation scheme is being used at a given time. It
> can vary from 2DPSM
> to 16PSM with an extra 4ASM. Only one tone is
> operating at a given time.
> Thus the claim that the baud rate is always 31.25.
>
> With parallel tone modems do you have something
> similar, but there are
> many tones operating at the same time but perhaps at
> a moderate baud rate?
>
> Then do you add up the baud rates of each tone to
> total the waveform
> baud rate?
>
> Is that how they come up with using multi thousand
> baud rates on HF?
>
> Or are MIL and STANAG modems running multi thousand
> baud rates for a
> given tone?

Multiple carriers and complex PSK constellations give
the SCS boxes that high speed capability.

Carry it a bit further ahead. Broadcasters are using
460 slow keyed carriers with OFDM on a 10 kHz channel
for Digital Radio Mondiale, an alternative to digital
medium and short wave broadcasting to give CD quality
audio. The mono audio stream on the main service
channel is around 20 kbps.

73, Jose

http://mail.yahoo.com

<*> Your email settings: