Well, the internet was reality and there was no way to stop it. The only
way that radio amateurs could have prevented the linking to the internet
would have been to making it illegal and I don't think many would
support you on that.

Radio by itself has a benefit. Primarily an emergency benefit, if the
system is set up to work under those conditions. The internet has a much
larger benefit since it is tremendously faster, can handle so much more
traffic, with many additional benefits. By combining radio with the
internet you have a synergy that neither one can do as well by
themselves. At least at one time. Now with portable devices that are
radio transceivers, I do admit that the commercial market has more of
this available to everyone, not just radio amateurs. I can not imagine
this as being viewed as a bad thing.

E-mail is tremendously more useful than the hierarchical packet system
because it works not just for hams, but for anyone with e-mail, which is
ubiquitous in countries such as the U.S.

What I wish for is a system that could do both. We had a crude version
of it for a short time with the Netlink system, but that was
discontinued. That way, you can send e-mail via amateur radio in areas
that would be completely impossible to use cell phones, blackberries,
etc. and if there is an emergency situation, you can still (hopefully)
get it to work and you still maintain the hierarchical system for within
amateur radio circles.

Even when packet was in its heyday, a very large amount of data went via
"wormholes." And they were really the early stages of the internet. Some
of the packet gurus hated to admit they used these mostly landline
connections though:)

CW has been in decline over many years now, but it still has hobby value
and maybe a pinch of emergency value too. Not a lot, but a little bit.
It is nice to read of stories of guys who are back packing in remote
areas and can use their miniature CW rig to contact the outside world
and send messages to keep others posted on their location and to summon
help if it was ever needed.

True story:  A friend of ours, has parents that live in the Pacific
NorthWest. As you may know, in the past few weeks they had severe
weather problems and loss of power and communications. After about a
week and a half the individual was becoming very concerned since they
had not heard from their parents during that time. They were able to get
a communication to their parents from Wisconsin.

But is wasn't through the NTS system, nor using HF (they are Techs and
did not have this capability), and certainly not through any Winlink
2000 system since it is strictly an e-mail delivery system.

Rather, they got on their computer and located a ham within 26 miles of
their parents home via ... Echolink. The ham on the other end agreed to
drive to their parents home and report back. Which they did a few hours
later to report that everything was OK.

This is not unlike how it was a few decades ago when I would get some
NTS traffic from the CW or voice nets and hand deliver it, sometimes
many miles away, because there was no telephone number. While most
traffic was of little importance, I did have one once that was a fairly
important situation and got a lot of satisfaction out of delivering the
message to the final recipient.

Sincerely,

Rick W.