  From: John Bradley
  To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Sunday, April 29, 2007 3:53 PM
  Subject: Re: [digitalradio] ARRL wake up ......

  Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Large number of rules sounds like suppression to me.  The right
of citizens to experiment and innovate freely without the
  government telling them where when and how would be a truly free society.

  AND TO ME IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE SAYING THAT EACH OF US SHOULD HAVE THE RIGHT
TO DO WHAT WE WANT, REGARDLESS OF THE INTEFERENCE, OR HARM IT MAY DO OTHERS.  I
know that is not what you are intending to say, but that often happens when
rules are thrown out the window, and "suggestions" are completely ignored.  A
truly free society would believe in the golden rule "Do unto others as you
would have them do unto you"  Man has been experienting with governments trying
to emulate that since who-knows-when.  It has never worked.  There will always
be those who push the envelope beyond the point, and without rules you have no
cure for such behavior.

  My guess is that the vast majority of non US hams on this reflector do not
feel supressed, but rather sorry for the US hams who don't
  have the freedom that other countries enjoy. We can only hope that the FCC
and the ARRL will come to some understanding which would enable
  and foster new modes and further the hobby generally.

  IS THAT WHY THE UNITED STATES HAS LINES, IN AND OUT MOST OF OUR EMBASSIES, OF
PERSONS WAITING IN LINE FOR THE RIGHT TO MOVE HERE, AND POTENTIALLY BECOME
CITIZENS?  No, I dont feel suppressed.  I do get mad as heck when my own
government bows down to the minority views of its amateurs, or any other
particular group and suppresses the wishes of the majority, as the FCC is wont
to do in this period of time.  The balance scales of justice, for which we are
world reknown appears ,all too often, to tip to those who would use our bands
for their own viewpoint - disregarding the views of every other person.

  If you have been a member of this reflector for some time, you would realize
that this is the umpteenth time this argument has gone round and round
  and takes the focus off what this reflector is really about. There have been
some great things happening here lately, with all the interest in J65 and now
  the digital radio interactive sked page, thanks to the efforts of many
members.

  I CANNOT DISCOUNT THE ADVANCEMENT THIS GROUP HAS BROUGHT TO AMATEUR RADIO AND
THE DIGITAL MODES.  The J65 mode has jumped out to the forefront recently, but
remember, there are people on here that are not interested in that too.  They
have silently stood by while those of us who have played with it, have used the
group to advance our knowledge and capabilities with that model...Some have
been swung over to check into it themselves, a goodly percentage have
continued, a few have dropped it, but only one or two has said "too much".

  Why muddy these waters with ARRL politics?

  WHY INDEED?   Discussion of rules and regulations is an important part of
being able to use these modes, these procedures and populating these bands.
The majority of users here (and this is just a guess) are stateside amateurs,
and this discussion is important to us, and indeed, what happens within our
amateur population is important to the amateur population as a whole.  I too,
wish I had a place to only read what I want to see, but my wants are UNLIKE
those of every other person.  So, I guess I can go talk to myself, or remain
here, and take in what I want, and ignore the rest.

  John
  VE5MU