I have sometimes wondered why it is that some bands are not used as much
as one might expect, especially considering the very much larger ham
population, at least here in the U.S., from when I was first licensed in
1963. As a Novice I worked a few stations but did not find CW to be all
that compelling at the time. So when I upgraded to Technician class the
following year I moved to 2 meter AM since that was the main VHF
activity of the time. I tried some 6 meter attempts but my equipment was
pretty bad and was probably not working as some was kit built.

There seemed to be a fair amount of 2 meter and 6 meter interest back
then with some stations running KW power with high beams. I think that
repeaters caused the movement away from that kind of activity except for
specialized use such as weak signal and EME, etc., for the extreme
minority. Of course repeaters caused a major population of the 2 and 440
meter band. Since 220 is not a world wide band, it was almost never used
and still is rarely used since it means yet another rig and often even
more importantly, yet another antenna.

Even with all the increase in ham numbers, many of which were Technician
class hams with VHF only privileges, and in the past decade, with the
increase in relatively low cost multimode/multiband HF/VHF rigs, there
is still not that much simplex activity on VHF and up. By that I mean
you do not have large numbers of hams operating SSB and digital modes on
6/2 and 440. Except for a few larger population areas, you will rarely
find any really wide bandwidth modes such as ATV, even though you can
use a huge chunk of the band for fast scan TV. I would be hard pressed
to name more than one or two hams in our county who do any VHF SSB and I
don't know of any (other than myself) who have ever done VHF digital.

The reason for such minimal change seems to be that the new hams are not
really interested in the technical part of radio. It was thought some
time ago that there were large numbers of highly technical persons who
would greatly expand experimentation on the ham bands as we relaxed the
license testing. What seems to have happened is that average individuals
were willing to invest the necessary time and effort in passing the
exams so that they could go with the mainstream activities.

On VHF and up that mostly means repeater activity. Most of my ham class
students have been satisfied to use 2 meter FM as their primary
operating activity although,  as you might expect, some eventually did
upgrade to HF. But not very many.

My wife and daughter are both hams and we used amateur radio for a
number of years for family communication including some responses to
family emergencies (e.g., bike collision requiring assistance), but it
was all done on 2 meter FM via repeaters.  My daughter still maintains
her license, but it is questionable whether she will ever do anything
more with it. My wife recently upgraded to General partially due to the
elimination of the CW requirement, but she is not sure how much she will
use it for other than family use (e.g., putting HF in her truck with a
bug catcher so we can try 75 meter SSB).

Having said this, we have supported emergency communications for Red
Cross, even some for ARES/RACES, and a lot for NWS for many decades. But
it is almost all on 2 meter FM repeaters.

There has to be a compelling reason for a large number of people to move
to something that is not currently being done. I just do not see that
with VHF and up. With the increasing number of hams who are upgrading to
access HF, this may even become more pronounced. In fact, my interests
of HF digital, QRP, emergency communications support for county
emergency management, club activities trying to interest new hams and
members, is almost only geared for HF now and I seem to be moving
further from VHF except for the 2 meter repeaters. I have tried
CW/digital/SSB on 6 meters with very limited success but contrary to
what Bruce has experienced, the HF bands, including 10 meters has had a
surprisingly large number of modest openings.  And I have only a simple
multiband vertical antenna here.

As an example, I can hear beacons today, from perhaps 1000 miles south
on 10 meters. S5 SSB signals on 28.355, and recently even some PSK31. I
have also copied weak DX on 12 meters at times, so it is slightly open
even though many are probably not aware of it. I just checked now and
hear nothing and I suppose it is too low for good Es and of course the
MUF is way too low at what is the bottom of the sunspot cycle.

My point to all this is that most of us gravitate toward the majority
activities of amateur radio. We do this because we want to make contacts
with others. In order to have a new direction there has to be a
COMPELLING reason to do so. The best example in my experience was when
VHF packet became so compelling that a majority of active hams
participated at some level.

But there are only so many of us to go around and if we are on a given
mode, we are likely to not be on another one at the same time. Many
(most?) of us just can not have antennas for many bands, some find it
difficult to have any antennas at all. So we find a few bands that
interest us the most and a mode or two or three that we like.

If a large contingent of hams had ultra wide band communications links
on some of the VHF/UHF bands, it would attract more of us, if there
really was a compelling reason to do so. I just don't see that happening
except for emergency communications and even there, I personally would
like to see more HF capability that stands alone and is not dependent
upon some failure prone infrastructure.