I would hope that we continue to be progressive and develop new modes.
Are you seriously saying that you oppose further development for
keyboarding?  And that we should no longer develop ARQ/robust modes
because we have Pactor?

Several of the modes I had referred to, such as AM and phone patching
are very old technology and would not be considered progressive by
anyone that has been involved in amateur radio for any length of time.
On the other hand, we need to use some restraint if some automated modes
become so popular that they disrupt shared frequencies. Amateur radio is
not like commercial frequencies, even though some of you want this to
change.

All automated systems have some who are using it illegally to send
commercial information. To think otherwise is very naive. I am not
suggesting that Winlink 2000 is any different than other similar
systems, only that we have no way of knowing because they do not share
that information. They have shared that it does happen and that they do,
in fact, remove and block people.

I am also not saying that hams should not use e-mail via radio on
amateur frequencies. But I am saying that if it became extremely common
and disruptive, then many of us would demand redress and I can guarantee
you that we would be able to get the rules changed.

In terms of Pactor IV, if you noticed Steve H.'s recent comments on that
very subject, it is likely that they would move toward the 8PSK2400
single tone modulation in order to get increased speed. What did you
think of the information in the single tone modem document?

In terms of computer OS preferences, I like to use the one that is
commonly available and well supported so that my monitor can actually
show proper resolution out of the box. XP and Vista does this
flawlessly, Linux can not do this yet. Eventually it should do it. I
have no problem with closed and proprietary software or FLOSS. I look
for value and practical use as the most important things. Almost all the
applications I use are open source or at least free software, whether
Open Office, Thunderbird, Firefox, Media Monkey, and many ham programs.
It is a constant progression from where we were at the beginning of
computers. It won't suddenly stop, but will continue to evolve.