--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Bernstein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> conveyed by amateurs because doing so would compete with commerical
> operations, but the same could be said of any QSO. I don't believe
> there's any merit to this claim.

I don't see the point of you mentioning it then.

> is based on the fact that its PMBOs transmit without first verifying
> that their frequency is not in use. This is a clear violation of
> 97.101(d), which states "No amateur operator shall willfully or
> maliciously interfere with or cause interference to any radio
> communication or signal." A PMBO's transmission is not malicious,
> but its definitely willful.

Again this is an old horse already beaten to death many times, but you
keep coming back at it over and over. Any interference caused in
Winlink2000's semi-automatic operations is not the PMBO's fault but
the initiator's fault who is responsible for any QRM because he has to
listen for a while before he transmits, and he should also keep
listening when in session with the PMBO. Myself and many others do
this i n every session, even when in QSO using PSK31. Whoever does not
do this does not follow good radio amateur practices, full stop.
Automatic operation is only what F6FBB BBSes do in PACKET radio when
they start MAIL FORWARDING. Winlink2000 PMBOs use only the Internet
for exchanging traffic among them. Winlink2000 PMBOs don't even
transmit beacons on HF every so often, like other systems do on HF.
They only respond if and when they are called by a client and the
client is responsible for the QRM they cause. So any claims that they
cause willful interference is not true.

>     73,
>
>         Dave, AA6YQ

73 de Demetre SV1UY