  From: Rick W
  To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2009 10:43 PM
  Subject: Re: [digitalradio] Re: New MFTTY Version 30.145

  DTMF tones are easy to distinguish for us OT's. Maybe not so easy for
  new digital hams, but and that might be a useful characteristic as long
  as it can compete well against the existing modes of which we have many,
  some with not that much difference in performance.

  A couple days ago I started working on a new document that looked at the
  various digital modes, particularly the sound card modes, to put some
  kind of perspective for hams new to digital modes. But after working on
  this for a while, I realized that there were only a few that do work
  well in terms of speed vs ISI vs Doppler, vs weak signal, vs bandwidth,
  etc., so it is nearly a moot point. And even though some modes are
  superior to other modes under some conditions, if no one uses them, then
  no matter how good they may be, it won't matter.

  Over the past few years, we have seen a new mode come along, get a lot
  of comments on groups like this one to try and coordinate with other
  hams, sometimes successfully and sometimes not. But after a few weeks,
  it dies down and you never hear much again.

  If I understand Patrick, F6CTE's critique of his implementation of DTMF,
  which has been in Multipsk for some time, this is not a weak signal mode
  and requires signals to be well above zero dB S/N. Or is this
  implementation that much different?

  I sure do not miss the green keys and my Model 15 TTY and homebrew TU
  and loop supply. I am totally sold on computer generated digital modes,
  especially the sound card modes that avoid vendor lock in and special
  hardware.

  kh6ty wrote:
  > There is always a search for a "Holy Grail" of digital modes for ham radio,
  > with ease of use, performance, robustness, resistance to atmospheric
  > doppler, bandwidth, speed, FUN, etc!
  >
  > Personally, I just like the musical sound of MFTTY and appreciate the
  > uniqueness of Norbert's approach. Once the user friendliness gets ironed
  > out, I look forward to being able to find people using the mode often.
MFTTY