> - On the post page, put a "Do you want to search and see if someone's
> already answered your question?" -- but off to the side
> - Let people write their question out and click Continue
> - Show the post preview AND automatically return the search results for
> answers that may answer their questions
>  If user clicks on one of the "old answers", it should probably open
> in-page using AJAX or in a separate window
> - If user goes ahead and posts anyways, fine.

I think this is a great solution. The pattern itself has been used in the world
of bug-tracking tools and customer support requests, where the submission (the
posting, in this context) is used first as a query to see if any results cross
a certain threshold in relevance. Above the threshold and the application asks
the user if one of these other items is a duplicate or meets their needs.
Otherwise, proceed.

And its a great illustration of making the technology go to work instead of
making the humans do more work.

For the list, extending it to email would be novel, functioning as a sort of
call-and-response in non-web channels.

- Michel.