One random thought:

This is a MAILING LIST not a FORUM.
It is unfair to flame new users for posting a question or opinion on a
previoulsy discussed topic, as they are a new subscriber and they don't know
what has or has not been discussed in the past. I realize that means that
the "list" can become chock full of repeat subjects and conversations, but
who are "we" to tell someone that they should go back in time to join the
list in order to have their question be valid? You know?

It probably makes sens for iXda to start up online forums to solve this
problem. But the social aspects and usage patterns of a listserv are quite
different than a mailing list. (then again, based on the audience of this
list, that goes without saying).

In addition, the suggestion that you should deflect a post that a user makes
that is in ALL CAPS is just wrong imho.  One of the basic rules of good
experience design is to not blame your user or make them follow a
non-natural process. No?

dave