> Cindy,
>  In your case, we would use pattern recognition, and
> in my case, we would simply assume that all posts are potential source
> of "noise".

That is exactly the important difference - "assuming that all posts are
potentially noise".  How disrespectful to the user!
The thing is, no one thinks their post is noise, and most of them are
correct.  You should only be interfering when you have some real "evidence"
that their post is noise.  It's a subtle difference but the "feel" of any
community is mostly governed by subtle interactions.

So far, my model is to
> 1. upon posting, ask for the title first
> 2. search the title and present the results
> 3. if the poster isn't interested in the results, let him/her post
> 4. if the post body is recognized as "noise"(too many caps, etc),
> reject the post

I think this is great (you could move #1 to between #3 and #4 potentially as
well)

> 5. the post isn't publicized until the poster comes back in a few
> hours and reconfirms it

I think you'll lose 90% of posts this way.  When you ask the user to come
back, a lot won't bother - just human nature.

> 6. other users can flag the posts as "redundant" or "rude" so that
> moderators can act upon it

"rude", yes.  "redundant", I think that's rude if it's public.  But it would
be really useful to flag as redundant IF you used that as a guideline to
what FAQs to create next!

> 7. create a wiki and FAQ

Definitely good.

Cindy