This direction makes sense to me. It would ensure that new IxD's have
a T-shaped background, and would also defer medium agnosticism until
the students are presumably mature enough to fully immerse themselves
in it.

(Having come to the field via the 2 degree route, though, I may be
somewhat biased. :))

Dmitry