Due to heavy RSI I dumped the mouse some time ago and switched
completely to a trackball and a tablet. Which alternatingly are
placed where the mouse pad used to be (I use one of them
predominantly, depending on the task at hand). I prefer to use a
compact keyboard (w/out number block) with this setup: switching
between input devices is both faster & easier and my mainly active
(right) arm feels more %u201Cnaturally%u201D positioned.

Basic sketching is mostly done with paper and pencil though. They're
learned as nearly every other interface, but you simply can't beat
several millenniums of development and refinement. Compared to this,
the tablet may feel indeed quite strange and awkward at first, as the
hand-eye-coordination differs much to that on paper. Most of which is
pure conditioning and is rather well overcome after a few days to
weeks of practice. Still, if I need to do lots of drawing or image
editing work on screen, I like to tape architectural drawing paper
onto the tablet. The increased friction sometimes does pure wonders.
(For navigation I prefer the slicker default tablet surface, though).