I've used a 6x8 Wacom for 10  years. It goes to the right of my
keyboard, where the mouse pad would go.

I still use a mouse too, and it just goes on top of the Wacom. I
switch back and forth quite regularly. I use the pen for drawing apps
or fine-grained work, and the mouse for tasks like email or writing
documents.

I really believe switching back and forth is better for your wrists.
I've never had a problem with repetitive strain from the mouse, but
I have strained my wrist from gripping the pen too much.

The ramp-up time to get accustomed to the Wacom can be long. Be
patient with yourself and switch back to the mouse (or whatever else
you use) when you start to get frustrated. After a while you will get
the hang of it.