Liz finishes this precisely...

"And it's essential to remember that no design process stops with
personas"

And Will's stance in my opinion is spot on in suggesting that
personas are essential when you are...sorry for the quote.."going to
the mattresses" :)

Personas are to me the foundation of a building. A building in which
the lobby and the second floor are almost never the same.

In the same way that Mike scrutinizes personas so can one question
only focusing "on the bits and pieces" as he puts it. Bits and
pieces are exactly that. They are meant to form a whole. It is our
job to put those pieces together. Personas become even more important
when the data sets themselves are not representative to the whole
puzzle.

It is important to understand that it is not a "fictional
character". You are building a real base, a solid foundation that
will propel your workflow from start to finish.

- 2cents from Jake