I want to kind of expand on Liz's point a little, and maybe take this in a slightly different direction. Personas are to digital products as a tape measure is to a bookcase. Critics of personas often seem to have an intense focus on validity of the tool, without a lot of discussion about what it is people are trying to do with personas. As I understand and use personas, their value has less to do with their accuracy and more to do with their human qualities and specificity.

A persona provides me as a designer (and the team at large) a specific person to identify with. A lot of products don't treat people very well, and having a persona around as a constant reminder that the product is interacting with a specific person helps us avoid treating people like anonymous "users." Personas help keep me empathetic.

A persona also provides a shorthand for whatever research has been done and helps keeps things focused in context. So, when I say "Does Joan [the persona] need that feature?" it's often just a quicker (and nicer) way of saying "Remember that we did a bunch of research and came to agreement on who the target is for our design? This random request from a single user doesn't seem to match our data, so let's stay on target until there's some more evidence that this is a real concern."

Now, I'm kind of downplaying the importance of personas being a good archetype of the user base, which is not to say that I don't think that's important too, but being "right" is only aspect of why they are a handy tool.

-Adam