Liz, we absolutley make use of scenarios.  We've done this in-depth
in projects where we were developing OS-level frameworks for mobile
phones (i.e.: not simply single apps, but OS frameworks for all
subsequent common interface elements and interactions for associated
apps).  These include both types of users as well as types of tasks
or goals.

It varies from project to project how incorporate this into the
project beyond pantomiming in order to test our assumptions during
the development of interactional architecture, interrelationships,
archetypal elements, and flows.  We have included these in
deliverables in order to contextually explain how certain needs will
be served, and sometimes it's just how we speed up our own thinking
and decision-making.