Dave, seems like we are talking past each other. I am NOT talking about UX/Agile methods here either.

As to reality - my fellow team members and I must have been dreaming shuffling through volumes of UI-related research, UI evaluations, usability reports, UI improvement recommendations etc. that went nowhere and gather dust in some cubicles... again - it's no like the work was bad... it just .. err... did not work??? IMHO - due to the nature of many tech SW firms they needed a complete, fast and affordable process, not just bits and pieces of good work or volumes of exhaustive research that arrive when all release dates are past due...

I think that it's been already said enough that RED (at least in my understanding) is not rejecting any established design methods be it research, user interviews, persona creation etc., etc. RED team approaches it all from a specific angle, like: what do we know about this particular domain, problem, design challenge? how much research is needed? do we really need to conduct 25 (50, 100?) interviews , would 12 enough? 8? 6? In what form these findings should be presented to client? is it 100 page report? is it 1 page diagram? a flash movie? In what format this particular client will be able to understand presented information easier, share among themselves? Same for persona creation - how deep, how detailed etc.... These are expert judgement decisions made in a context of a particular client/ project guided by this single goal: to produce a final (acceptable- good-great) implementable design - and i repeat - on time, on budget.

As to being dramatic - well, sorry... I am a bit passionate about all this because it's hard to hear red-faced engineering and biz managers slamming UI design practices as "not working", "we don't know what to do with this paper" kind of comments year over year... May be they are all niche managers from niche companies like McAfee and Applied Materials?... don't know ...